Just for fun, here’s a little quiz about John and Annie Bidwell:
1. John Bidwell came to California in:
A) 1841 B) 1845 C) 1848
2. John Bidwell called this man “the meanest man in California.” He was referring to:
A) Mariano Vallejo B) John Sutter C) John Marsh
3. John Bidwell’s first job for Sutter in California was
A) Dismantling Fort Ross B) Supervising Sutter’s Hock Farm C) Laying out Sutterville
4. John Bidwell first saw Chico Creek and the region he would someday call home when he was:
A) Mapping northern California B) Chasing horse thieves C) Searching for gold
5. John Bidwell discovered gold along:
A) Chico Creek B) the American River C) the Feather River
6. John Bidwell served how many terms in Congress?
A) One B) Two C) Four
7. How many years older than Annie was John Bidwell?
A) 10 years B) 17 years C) 20 years
8. Annie’s father Joseph Kennedy was:
A) Head of the Department of Agriculture B) Director of the U. S. Census Bureau C) Senator from Pennsylvania
9. Which U.S. president (in office at the time) attended John and Annie’s wedding?
A) Abraham Lincoln B) Andrew Johnson C) Ulysses S. Grant
10. John and Annie Bidwell called the area along Chico Creek that is now Bidwell Park:
A) Bidwell Park B) Woodland C) Vallombrosa
1. A 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. C 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. B 10. C
How did you do?
1-3 correct: You need to revisit Bidwell Mansion!
4-7 correct: Good, but could be better.
8-10 correct: Outstanding! You really know your Bidwell history!