You can get yourself some great local history with ANCHR’s new book, Ten Miles of Roadside Archaeology Along the Old Humboldt Wagon Road, by Gregory F. White, with contributions by Ron Womack, Josie Smith, David Brown, Michelle Rader and myself, Nancy Leek. The book covers a lot more than ten miles of that historic road, with chapters on
- John Bidwell’s road-building venture (by yours truly)
- the lure of the Nevada and Idaho mines
- hooligans and heroes of Ten-Mile House
- wagon ruts and rock fences and how to preserve them
- the Humboldt Road labor force, and
- Frank Bidwell Durkee’s push for the new road.
The core of the book is Greg White’s in-depth original report about his archaeological study of a ten-mile stretch of the road affected by the 2016 Santos Fire. It’s an up-close look with fascinating finds and insights.
If you are ready for a ride on the Old Humboldt Road, then look for this book, coming soon to a museum or bookstore near you.
The ANCHR team will be doing presentations at the following events:
- Saturday, Dec. 1: ANCHR Annual Meeting and Luncheon at Shelly’s Creative Catering — 11 a.m. ($20 per person for the luncheon)
- Saturday, Dec. 8: Butte County Historical Society, Ehmann Home, Oroville — 2 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 15: Chico History Museum — 10 a.m.
See you there!